Jackson Brewery opens on Decatur St. In addition to Jackson beer, it produced Fabacher, Bohemian Hof-Brau, Tex, 4-X and Sabena beer.
The New Orleans Brewing Association forms in order to combat the practice of English brewing syndicates looking to buy American breweries to expand their market shares. The alliance of all the breweries in the city makes them too large to be purchased.
J.J. Weckerling opens a second branch of his Louisiana Brewing Company on Jackson Avenue at Tchoupitoulas. The main building is still standing and is now part of a marine repair works. The bottling plant (on the uptown corner of Tchoupitoulas and Jackson) was demolished; that lot remains empty to this day.
New Orleans is known as the “Brewing Capital of the South,” with about fifty breweries listed in the city directory.
The first refrigeration equipment is installed in the Old Canal Brewery at Toulouse and Villere Streets.
Eagle Brewery opens at 1640 Tchoupitoulas (currently an electrical station).
The Lemp Brewing Co. of St. Louis, Missouri, begins shipping lager to New Orleans. Due to river transit, quite a large amount of beer is lost due to both freezing barrels in the winter and exploding barrels in the summer.
The first New Orleans brewery, The Brasserie, opens in what is now the Bywater section of New Orleans. Owned by Pierre Dreux and his brother Mathurin, it was essentially a plantation that made its money by supplying beer to Nouvelle Orleans.